Working with timesheets
My Work \ Current Timesheet
In order to use this feature, it’s required to have rights for the User role with the active Timesheets granule.
- Timesheet lists
- Timesheet review
- Switching between timesheets
- Timesheet parameters
- Timesheet states
- Filling the timesheet
- Actions on strings in the timesheet
- Sending a timesheet for approval
- Working with rejected timesheets
Purpose of the feature
A timesheet is a regular report on an employee’s working time for a specific period. By using a timesheet, employees are able to track their working time in the context of clients, projects, and tasks. The completed timesheets go through the approval process, and the data from the approved timesheets are used to calculate various indicators: utilization, and the actual cost of projects. It is recommended to enter data into the timesheet daily. At the end of the reporting period, it is recommended to check and complete all the data on working time.
Important information! There is no need to send a timesheet for approval every day. The timesheet is sent for approval at the end of the reporting period when it is fully filled in for the previous reporting period.
One can use the navigation panel of My work application to find the «My timesheets» section with the following lists of timesheets:
- Current — this feature opens the current timesheet of the user (the timesheet for the current period that is relevant).
- Expired* — this feature opens a list of expired timesheets that were not sent by the user for approval on time.
- Submitted* — this feature opens a list of timesheets sent by the user for approval, which are not approved yet.
- Require approval* — this feature opens a list of timesheets that require approval from the current user.
- Rejected* — this feature opens the list of timesheets rejected during the approval process.
- All timesheets — this feature opens a complete list of all the user’s timesheets for all periods in any state.
* — these lists are displayed only if there are suitable timesheets. The number indicates the number of timesheets in the list.
The timesheet period and commands allowing to switch between periods.
Parameters of the current timesheet.
Actions on the chosen strings in the timesheet.
Choosing timesheet strings.
Timesheet strings. It includes the task selected in the string, additional analytics (Activity, Role), and the allocated time divided by days.
A list of time-offs (vacations, days off, sick days) within the period of the current timesheet.
Switching between timesheets
One can move to the previous or next timesheet directly from the timesheet card:
- Moving to the timesheet for the previous period.
- Moving to the timesheet for the next period.
By clicking on the timesheet calendar frames, one can open a list of the nearest periods:
The current period is highlighted in red in the list.
- The current state of the timesheet.
- The due date, when this timesheet should be sent for approval. If the user refuses to send the timesheet for approval before the specified date (inclusive), it will be considered overdue.
- The author of this timesheet.
- A list of approving users for this timesheet.
The list of approving users is formed dynamically when filling out the timesheet and depends on the route of approval set in the WorkPoint settings for the author of the timesheet:
- Draft — this is the initial state; the timesheet can be edited only at this stage
- Submitted — the timesheet has been submitted for approval.
- Approved — the timesheet has been successfully approved and tracked.
- Rejected — the timesheet was rejected during the approval process.
Filling out the timesheet
To add a new empty string to the timesheet, click Add string:
If you are doing approximately the same tasks for several weeks, you can copy the task list (without time allocation) from the previous timesheet. In order to do this, use the Copy link in an empty timesheet or click Copy strings from the previous one:
The Create strings by resource plan button allows you to create a list of tasks based on the resource plans of projects. New tasks that have planned labor costs for the current user in the current period (if any) are added to the timesheet.
Choosing a task
In the added string, choose Client, Project, and Task for time allocation:
When selecting a task in the timesheet, one can view detailed information about the task:
Important information! Not all project tasks are available for selection in the timesheet. For more information, please see the — FAQ. What projects can the user choose in the timesheet?
Specifying the activity and role
Activity and Role analytics can be disabled by the WorkPoint administrator (they will not be displayed in the timesheet).
Activity — is an additional classifier of work in your company. The type of work is selected from a fixed list.
Role — indicates the role of the author of the timesheet, who participates in the project. It shall be chosen from the list of roles set for the employee in the project card on the Team tab (see Project team). If the author of the timesheet in the project performs only one role, the field is filled in automatically. For projects with the «Time and expenses» payment type, the role determines the billing rate.
Important information! Not all roles are available for selection in the timesheet. For more information, please see the — FAQ. What roles can the user choose in the timesheet?
Allocation and comments
The duration (hours) of the work is indicated for each string for each day. For each time allocation, one can specify a detailed comment:
Instead of entering the duration of work, one can use the Stopwatches.
To allocate the working time, one can use the buttons with the most popular values or enter any other value with the keyboard.
Actions on strings in the timesheet
In the timesheet, one can select one or more strings:
The following actions are available for the selected strings:
- Delete selected rows — this is a command to delete the selected strings from the timesheet. The command is only available in timesheets with the «Draft» state.
- Move the selected strings up/down — this is a command to change the order of strings in the timesheet. The command is only available in timesheets with the «Draft» state.
- Copy selected strings to the clipboard — this is a command to copy selected strings (it is available in timesheet with all states). The copied strings can then be inserted into another timesheet.
- Insert strings from the clipboard — this is a command for inserting previously copied strings. The command is only available in timesheets with the «Draft» state.
Sending a timesheet for approval
When the timesheet is completely filled in for the previous week, it should be submitted for approval. To do this, click on Submit for approval:
After submitting the timesheet for approval, its state will change from the «Draft» to the «Submitted» and the timesheet will not be available for editing.
It is impossible to send a timesheet for approval if it has an unapproved time-off request. There is a strict procedure for approval. The time-off request must be approved before the timesheet.
When the timesheet is sent for approval, it can be checked for compliance with the business rules configured by the WorkPoint administrator:
There are two types of rules:
- Mistake — the timesheet will not be sent for approval until it complies with the rules.
- Warning — the timesheet can be sent for approval, ignoring the warning.
After sending the timesheet for approval, and until the moment when it is fully approved (received the «Approved» state), the approval process can be interrupted and the timesheet can be returned to the «Draft» state. To do this, enter a short comment in the Comment on the action field and click Edit:
Working with rejected timesheets
If a timesheet was rejected by one of the approving users, it will change its state to «Rejected» and will be displayed in the «Rejected timesheets» list.
Such timesheets can be deleted or edited taking into account the comments of the approving users and sent for approval again.
To do this:
- Open the list of rejected timesheets.
- Open the card of the rejected timesheet.
- Check the reason for the rejection and the comments of the approving users in the «Approval history» section:
- Switch the timesheet to the «Draft» state using the Edit button.
- Make required changes to the timesheet and resend it for approval.